Apr 26, 2009

A few brief words on a Sunday morning.

Just because I have a moment or two before I go out and take a ride on the scooter and enjoy some of the wonderful weather.

I’m four weeks in on the job thing and I’m liking it. There are days of course, days when you feel a little off or things seem to drag but for the most part it’s as painless as a gig could be and I’m happy (and feel lucky) for the opportunity.

Friday night I was out with relatives having dinner, aside from making fun of the fact that we were going to dinner at 6pm and how it might be an indicator of advancing age, it also gives us a chance to catch up with one and other’s lives. Of course I was asked how things were going with the job and I described my day - getting up at a quarter to five each morning, leaving the house sometime between 7 to 8 and then returning home sometime after 7 or so in the evening.

Everybody commented on what a long day it is and were frankly a little surprised.

Surprised?

Mainly, they were surprised at my diligence. The long hours and the like seemed to surprise them too.

Thing is, whenever I work, I’m quite accustomed to putting in long hours. In the past I might have started later but it only meant the day went later and I didn’t get home until 10 at night. I’m not minding the change in schedule. I’ve settled into a bit of a nice routine too. Plus, I make it a point to walk back and forth from Grand Central to the office everyday. It’s a solid 40 to 50 minutes of walking I’m gettting in and I like it. I like the daily exercise, I enjoy the walk itself.

As a matter of fact, I had taken the opportunity to change a whole bunch of things as I started the new gig.

For instance, I changed my diet. Not just my diet but how and when I eat because my body is changing too as I get older. The body doesn’t need as much nor does it metabolize food in the same way it did when I was in my twenties. I cut out a bunch of foods (a lot of dairy), no more coffee (although that doesn’t mean I am adverse to it completely, I just haven’t been drinking it), more water, more fruits and vegatables. The upshot was for the first time in quite some time the numbers on the scale have gone down.

I almost don’t believe it.

Really! Because it has been that easy. I’m just surprised at how taking little steps, painless steps have produced such dramatic results.

How dramatic?

In four weeks, I dropped between 10 and 17 pounds. I got on the scale one day and I couldn’t believe the number, it didn’t make sense that I had lost that much weight (but I had). So, going forward as I start to do some more exercise and weight training again, I’ll be interested in seeing what happens. Mind you, at this point I’m only 12 or so pounds above what I weighed when I was going to the gym everyday (doing cardio) and working with a trainer three times a week. So, it seems the majority of the work will be less about shedding and more about firming up neglected muscle.

Like I said, I can’t believe it... it was that easy.

No comments: